Thursday, January 3, 2013

To Lock Oneself Away?


Yes, when you protect yourself, lock yourself in a house, close all the shutters and never venture out, you are protected. Protected from the sleet, the cold, the howling, gnawing wind, the blizzard and the chaos.

And you're also protected from gentle summer rain, the greenness of the awakening spring, the vast bright blue sky, the autumn breeze, the sunshine that heals the body and warms the soul.

Is it really worth it to shut yourself away? To swear self-protection, to say, "Never again will I allow myself to be hurt by another?"

Sometimes when we start to think other people are the enemy, we put up defenses that don't belong there in the first place. We then begin to believe that we are our own defense - that our sufficiency, our well-being lies in our own hands.

And then we miss out on the blessings that the Lord would pour out on us.

We miss out on the fellowship, kinship and encouragement of others when He brings them in our lives.

We miss out on seeking HIM to be our refuge and strength.

We miss out on the Beauty and the Joy of delighting ourselves in HIM, and the joy in having others share in this with us.

We miss out on rest that can only come from HIM.

We miss out on seeing that salvation can only come from HIM.

O, how we miss out on so much!

May we never seek to be our own source of protection. May we ever know that only HE can protect and defend.

My soul, wait in silence for God only.
For my hope is from Him.
He only is my Rock and my Salvation;
My Stronghold,
I shall not be greatly shaken.

On GOD my Salvation and my Glory, the Rock of my strength,
My refuge is in GOD.

Trust in HIM at all times, O people.
Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us.

Selah.

( Psalm 62 )





2 comments:

  1. “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.” -C.S. Lewis

    ReplyDelete